Last year I decided to up my makeup game.
I wanted to try some new to me products and learn how to best apply makeup to my face shape. The challenge that I gave myself (because I’m weird and I like to give myself challenges) was that the products that I purchased needed to be drugstore makeup. Nothing high end or fancy. Due to the lower cost I would be able to play around with more products and I loved the idea of finding things that worked just as great as some of my higher end favorites.
People who have been reading our blog for any length of time know that I love me some research when I’m making a decision big or small so that’s exactly what I did. I read reviews, blogs, and watched makeup tutorials on YouTube. I tested out tons of great products that I loved and some that I didn’t.
This is the list of my most used and most love drugstore makeup finds from 2015. When they’re empty I rebuy them (real test right there). I wear them often most of them daily. I’ve worn them in different climates and they’ve held up. They have my stamp of approval!
- L’Oreal Paris Telescopic Mascara in Black Carbon- It’s lengthens, it separates, you can build it up for more volume without it getting all gross and clumpy, the brush makes it easy to apply to lower lashes. Why isn’t everyone and their dog uses this stuff? It’s amazing! I get compliments on my lashes often and it’s all because of this bad boy!
- Pixi Mesmerizing Mineral Palette in Copper Peach– I can’t say enough good things about the Pixi makeup line. I’m in love with the quality of products their products. This palette is around $12 which I think is an awesome price for what you get. The pigment is great and the shadow is buttery and blends beautifully. This was the palette I grabbed most last year.
- Pixi Makeup Fixing Mist- Again love me some Pixi products. Love how refreshing this feels on my face and it does the trick even in the Texas heat!
- Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind- I talk about this product all the time so the fact that I love this may be old news but you need this in your life! I use this a a quick highlighter and to fix suborn areas like under my eyes. On days when I’m in a rush I swipe it over my eye lids and call it a day. Grab yourself a beauty blender and go to town. It’s blends beautiful and it does what it says it’s going to do.
- Revlon Color Stay – Another one that has a cult following. I wish it had a pump applicator but other than that I love this stuff! It blends great and you can build it up for more coverage without it looking caked on. Oh and y’all this stuff holds up all the live long day.
- NYX Studio Perfect Photo-Loving Primer– This was recommended to me by a makeup artist as a dupe for Smash Box’s popular primer. She was right! I have the Smash Box primer and this works just as well and of course cost way less. Its something I wear every day!
- Pixi Natural Brow Duo– So yes I know another one I’ve already told you about by y’all is this the best of 2015 so it had to be on the list. I’ve never been a brow person. My brows are pretty thick so I really didn’t think I needed to fuss with them. After hearing great things about this I decided to give it a try and it’s here to stay! It’s easy to use which is great for the person that doesn’t want to fuss with brow kits and it gives your brows a nice polished look. I’m hooked!
- NYX Powder Blush– Great colors, great pigment, blends well, and it holds up! I got tried of applying blush and 2 hours later looking like a pale faced zombie and needing to reapply. I don’t need to do that when I wear this.
- Hard Candy Blush Crush Baked Blush in Living Doll– Perfect for a nice glow. I don’t use this every day but I love it when I’m going for a fresh face look and it’s awesome for summer. It gives your cheeks a nice glow without being glittery there is a difference. I also use it as a highlighter on my cupids bow. It’s good stuff to have on hand!
- NYC Color Wheel Mosaic Face Powder in Bronze– Nothing fancy but it’s cheap and does the trick! I use this to contour my cheeks, nose, hairline, and chin. I love that there’s no shimmer, just a nice simple bronzer.
- Revlon Photo Ready Powder Sets my makeup beautifully and holds up well throughout the day. It gives a nice amount of coverage so if I’m in a rush I’ll use my Instant Age Rewind stick in my problem areas and top it with this and a couple swipes of the Telescopic mascara….done!
RSV and Bloguary Update:
In yesterday’s Bloguary post I shared that Carson has RSV and that Bloguary post may or may not be happening this week. Well Weston is now sick with what I’m pretty sure is RSV. We won’t know for sure until his doctors appointment tomorrow annnnnnd now I’m sick. Low grade fever sore throat coughing ya know all the typical RSV symptoms.
RSV is very contagious. There is no way I’m going to stop loving on my babies while they’re sick so I was bound to catch it. Kent woke up this morning saying that he’s not feeling too hot either. Soooo I’m just going to go ahead and cancel Bloguary for the week since I really have no idea how this week is going to pan out with all of us being sick.
What I am going to do to make it up to you is to post a couple vlogs this week so I won’t be leaving this week of Bloguary completely empty. Blogs (typed up post like this one) take me a lot longer to create than a vlogs (video log from the day) so I think I can manage a few vlogs this week and it seems like you guys really enjoy those.
I’m not promising that I can have one up daily but I’m to get a couple up this week. Be sure that you’re following along on our Face Book page, Bloglovin (little yellow heart in my sidebar), our YouTube channel or via email subscription so you don’t miss when they go up!